Douglas Carswell’s defection to UKIP last week highlighted the opportunism at the heart of the party. Clearly concerned more for his own job as a Tory MP, than those of his constituents, Carswell’s defection gives more reason to Stand Up to UKIP in the run up to next year’s general election.
Stand Up to UKIP will be campaigning locally against Carswell, and will seek to dispel the myths and lies spread by UKIP about immigration. Communities in Clacton should unite against the threat posed by UKIP to exploit and divide us.
Carswell has always represented the interests of the wealthiest section of society, whilst attacking workers and the poorest. Last year, the town of Jaywick within his constituency, was named as the country’s most deprived area. His recent voting record highlights the threat he poses to communities, not only in Clacton, but across the country:
Against equality, and the poorest in society:
- Voted very strongly against equal gay rights and against allowing marriage between two people of same sex.
- Voted strongly for reducing housing benefit for social tenants deemed to have excess bedrooms (which Labour describe as the “bedroom tax”). As well as, voting very strongly against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices.
- Voted strongly against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability.
- Voted strongly against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed.
- Voted very strongly for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year.
For looking after his cronies:
- Voted very strongly against an annual tax on the value of expensive homes (popularly known as a mansion tax).
- Voted strongly for reducing the rate of corporation tax.
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system.
(Source: They Work For You: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11621/douglas_carswell/clacton/votes)
Stand Up to UKIP in Clacton
Clacton needs to stand up to Carswell and his racist mates. Contact us using this form if you would like to get involved in the local campaign against him.